"Smudging", or the sacred art of burning dried plant matter has been around since humans existed on the earth across many different cultures. It is through this ancient act that the plants get to release their energetic potency and spiritual qualities into the air. The ceremonial act of smudging is generally performed to remove negativity from a space or a person. Think of it as an energetic shower to cleanse away unwanted vibes.
What we're coming to find nowadays is that along with the spiritually and energetically medicinal affects of burning plants, we are also finding out that there are physically medicinal affects as well.
It has been scientifically proven that smudging removes airborne bacteria from the air. We recommend that you use these plants (and always know where you're sourcing them from) to smudge in your home, office, or car. We think that killing airborne bacteria is especially beneficial these days; they actually burnt sacred plants during the Plague.
Plants For Cleansing The Body, Mind, Spirit + Airborne Bacteria:
- Saliva Apiana, commonly known as White Sage
- Pinus strobus, commonly known as Pine
- Bursera graveolenscommonly known as Palo Santo
- Artemesia vulgaris, commonly known as Mugwort
- Lavandula angustifolia, commonly known as Lavender
- Origanum vulgare, commonly known as Oregano
- Protium copalcommonly known as Copal
- Boswellia, commonly known as Frankincense
- Cedrus, commonly known as Cedar
- Ocimum tenuiflorum, commonly known as Holy Basil
- Commiphora myrrha, commonly known as Myrrh
- Salvia rosmarinus, commonly known as Rosemary
There are so many amazing plants that you can use for smudging, but the fact of the matter is that they need to be respected, so make sure you always ask your supplier if their sourcing practices are sustainable. When it comes down to it, it's more important to respect the plant than it is to purchase something that is going to do damage to the Earth, because there's no good vibes in that no matter what.
Want an incredible blend of cleansing herbs that you know have been sourced responsibly? Check out our Sacred 7 Smoke Blend.